Digital Shop | Project Gallery | Faith Forum | Resources | Meet Us | Schedule & Events | Newsletter | Contact

Welcome!

We are a circle of friends from all across the world who have been brought together through our love of Jesus Christ and our desire to express our faith in creative ways. Faith Sisters has been created to help you leave a legacy of faith. It is our hope that you will find inspiration in the challenges and the artwork created by our design team and our members. We encourage you to participate in the challenges, forums and post your creations in the Faith Sisters Gallery!

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

NEW - Featured Designer: Adriana Hollenbeck

Here at Faith Sisters, we are very blessed to have so many wonderful digital scrapbooking designers who help us in our shop. Every other Sunday, we will feature some of our outstanding designers!

Adri is one of our newer designers and and has been designing such pretty kits! Please read more about her and be sure to pick up some special freebies that she has created especially for our customers. Also be sure to check out her shop as her whole inventory is currently on sale for WOPPING 50% off! (sale price not including $1.95 and under items)



Flower
Adri, please tell us a bit about you.


I was born in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil where I attended Art School. I was a teacher for many years, also the school librarian and then the principal. One day I met Brian and I moved to Wisconsin, USA. We have one son, Nicholas, who is a wonderful boy. Art has always been a motivation. I paint and draw when I can.
I truly believe that Art makes us better people and opening our hearts to Art allows us to see life through other people's eyes. The combination of senses and perceptions widens our perspective and makes us all more understanding, flexible, creative and ready for a challenging world who is changing too fast every single day.
I also love cooking and traveling. I've been to almost all the states of Brazil, I've travelled to Peru, Puerto Rico, Norway and France. I've also visited many interesting places in the USA and so far my favorite ones are New York and Chicago because I simply love the energy of the big cities (and the cool museums they have to offer!)
I work as the Daycare Director and Technology Coordinator at St. Bernard's School.
My parents - and many of my friends and relatives - live in Rio de Janeiro. My sister, brother-in-law and nephew live in Brasilia.

FlowerWhat are some of the life lessons that scrapbooking has taught you?

When I first started scrapbooking I thought it was just a matter of embellishing a page and adding pictures.
Nicholas was a few months old and after a trip to a craft store I started putting pictures and stickers together on patterned paper.
A few months - and books - later, I understood that there was much more involved and the main lesson is that each of us has a story that is worth being told and we are not going to be here forever so it is important to leave our mark, like artists do. Monet, one of my favorites, also told me this lesson. Time changes things, seasons change people so it is very important to track the process so we can understand who we are and the generations to come will also benefit from it. I love that we can all be authors!

FlowerWhen did you start digital scrapbooking, designing and what made you get into it?

It was a funny thing: first I played with Corel Draw for many years; then a friend of mine told me that there was a PSP Club, a group of people that wanted to learn about PSP. We had lessons and then it started as a hobby. At that point I decided to get a little more ambitious and started creating stationary for IncrediMail. I knew deep in my heart that PSP was good but Photoshop was the real thing so I moved on and decided I was going to learn and I still do.
Despite the fact that I have a Bachelors Degree in Art Education, that does not mean it relates to computers because there were no computers for students when I was in College.
It makes me feel old when I say that!
When I bought my first kits I got puzzled and started asking myself why couldn't I try to create my own.
It has been a huge learning process. I seat here and challenge myself every time I start creating a new kit. Books, friends and websites are a great combination. Also having good eyes to find inspiration.

FlowerWhat inspires you to create your designs?


Inspiration comes from themes or colors. I love color swatches. They tell me a story and I see shapes and textures popping out of those little squares. I've also talked to friends I met here at Faith Sisters and I have been trying to create based on what they like or need.
Songs also inspire me... or a movie... Sometimes a word or one little picture.
One of my kits was born after a trip to Milwaukee Public Museum and the butterflies I saw there inspired me deeply.


FlowerCan you share your favorite scrapbooking or design tip with our Faith Sisters?


I don't know if this is a tip but I think sometimes designers go a little to crazy with the mix-match items available in commercial kits that they create products that will confuse the customers; it ends up being a visual distraction, instead of being the right fit for an idea.
My suggestion is: let you pictures tell you what you do, keep it simple, chose the right fonts - I am a font-aholic and I believe words are images as well, they have a shape and a story of their own - and leave your mark... something that will allow people to know you put that together. Your unique style is your digital signature, has character, is true to your heart.


FlowerHow do you find the time to do so many wonderful designs?


I don't know... I think I end up sleeping less than I would like to.
My son goes to an independent school and I have to drive thirty minutes to get there and then come back to town, then I go to my school. I also volunteer at Nicholas' school whenever they need me.
No food comes from boxes at the Hollenbeck's. I like to cook and I cook from scratch so a lot of time is put into that.
Piano, Basketball, Scouts, Swimming... I am the driver for those activities as well... and there are the play dates and the sleep overs... There's a lot of reading going on as well and also video games that I end up playing with Nicholas.

Family always comes first. I was taught this way and I think that's how things should be. I do a lot of planning and creating while I am driving and listening to good music. Sometimes when I start creating on Photoshop and Illustrator I already have the kit in my mind.
I am always going to be thankful to Karma for letting me be part of this community.


ClaudiWhat is your favorite scripture verse?



Ecclesiastes 3:1
For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven: 2 a time to be born, and a time to die;
a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;
3 a time to kill, and a time to heal;
a time to break down, and a time to build up;
4 a time to weep, and a time to laugh;
a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
5 a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together;
a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
6 a time to seek, and a time to lose;
a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
7 a time to tear, and a time to sew;
a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
8 a time to love, and a time to hate;
a time for war, and a time for peace.

The following are some of her favorite products in her shop, right now 50% off!

And now, here some freebies from Adri, just for you!

No comments: