Digital Shop | Project Gallery | Faith Forum | Resources | Meet Us | Schedule & Events | Newsletter | Contact

Welcome!

We are a circle of friends from all across the world who have been brought together through our love of Jesus Christ and our desire to express our faith in creative ways. Faith Sisters has been created to help you leave a legacy of faith. It is our hope that you will find inspiration in the challenges and the artwork created by our design team and our members. We encourage you to participate in the challenges, forums and post your creations in the Faith Sisters Gallery!

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Scripture Challenge {Week 26}

Can you believe we are officially in our 26th week? We are half way through the year! Wow! Incredible! I pray you are still enjoying the study each week. Look at where you were when we began on January 7th. Maybe look back through your journal. Where are you now? How have you become more Christ-like? Think of where God might take you by December 28th. Oh so exciting! :)

Well, our word this week may hit us all in a bad spot. God gave it to me last Sunday before we started VBS with 603 kids. I was kind of scared that He gave it to me so quickly and loudly. What was going to happen this week at VBS? Anyway, it’s kind of an odd word but it can have devastating effects, and it's one we need to look at.

Week 26 Challenge Word: Tongue

Did you just say “Ouch”? Yes, we need to look at how we use that oh so small muscle. Do we use our tongue to destroy or to heal? Do we use it to tear down or build up? A lesson I learned many, many years ago in BSF was that if you wouldn’t say something if that person were standing right there beside you, then don’t say it at all. It has been such a huge reminder for me, and I have taught it to the girls. Just pretend the person you are talking about is standing right there with you. Would they be pleased to hear the words you speak about them or would they be deeply hurt? Think before you speak. Ask for forgiveness if you slip up.

When Jesus spoke, the people were amazed. Look at Luke 4:22 “All spoke well of him and were amazed at the gracious words that came from His lips.” Are people amazed when you speak or are they hurt in how you tear them down? As Christians, we have a responsibility to guard our tongues. Because God had given me this word so early this week, it was at the forefront of my mind all week in dealing with many, many people. I quickly discovered on Monday why God had given me the word so loudly. It was only because of Him that I could keep a tight reign on my tongue at specific times this week (James 1:26). I truly praise Him for that. God is so good!

For my card this week, I used some amazing K&Company papers and embellishments that my dear friend Danni sent to me. Thank you Danni! The patterned paper with the fruit made me think of how our words need to be sweet whenever we open our mouth. I chose the following verses:

Psalm 139:4Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O Lord.”
Proverbs 10:19 “. . . he who holds his tongue is wise.”
God also reminded me as I was tired and worn out from VBS, that it is easiest for us to use our tongues in an inappropriate way at home around family. We need to be the example to our children and other family and friends that may be in our homes. So, even though you are comfortable at home and it's where we all do things that the world doesn't see, we still need to watch what we say and keep a reign on our tongue. Ask Him to help you! He will!

So as you go out this week, think about what you say. Are you tearing someone down or building them up? Please join us here for discussions and links to your cards and pages. I pray your week is filled with sweet, sweet words! Blessings,

3 comments:

MelB said...

Great word to think on this week Patter.

Kim said...

I just was thinking and praying about this very subject!!

Being Mrs Miles said...

Hello, Thanks for visiting my blog, and inviting me here. I am very impressed with your site, being a sister of faith too. How can I help? Please tell me more.

Barb Derksen (Mrs. Miles) also known as Olivia Dorazio at www.sophiasarducci.com